Champaign Country Club History
In October 1904, members of the Champaign Golf Club met with other civic leaders to formulate a plan to start a country club. Within a few weeks, more than 100 charter members had joined the newly formed Champaign County Country Club.
Tom Bendelow, architect of the original 9 hole layout on 40 acres of the E.O. Chester farm on South Prospect, was also credited with the design of the first 18 hole golf course. The construction of the first 18 hole course, under the guidance of Willie B. Still, Scotch professional, was completed for play in the spring of 1925 after purchasing 60 acres adjoining the grounds on the west in 1923.
In December 1960, the name of the Club was changed from Champaign County Country Club to Champaign Country Club to bring it into agreement with the group’s by-laws.
Members of Champaign Golf Club helped organize the Central Illinois Golf Association (CIGA) in 1901. Now called the Central Illinois Country Club Association (CICCA), the current group of eight clubs share reciprocal playing privileges at the other clubs. Originally Quincy, Peoria, Galesburg, Jacksonville, Decatur, Springfield, Bloomington, and Champaign, the CICCA now remains the same with one exception of Danville replacing Jacksonville.
The Illinois Women’s Golf Association was formed in 1933 and Champaign Country Club golfers have been active in the IWGA since its inception.
Champaign Country Club has played host to such prestigious events as the Women’s Western Junior, Illinois Women’s State Amateur, Illinois Men’s State Amateur, Illinois Open, and American Junior Golf Association Invitational.